December 18, 2004
Below and beyond the market
I was made to realise that I'm a 'spoilmarket'. I charge my tuition rates (going by per hour these days) below the market rate. I must say Juan sounded like she was in a slight state of shock when I told her my kind of rate. AND I was in a state of shock when I heard Ray's rate.
I know of a lot of friends who are making good money just by giving tuition alone. But, I didn't know the cost of having private tuition can be quite the exorbitant now. Obviously, I haven't been a true beneficiary of such a lucrative market. Why?
Well, to begin, I see giving tuition as a means to supplement my income. That essentially translates to the part that I will use to repay the bloody tuition fee loan from the blood-sucker bank. So, maybe subconsciously, I don't feel like earning that much so as to pay the bank that much. Hmm? haha.. Doesn't make sense? But it doesn't make much sense that my service is so 'affordable' in the first place.
I actually feel inadequate to charge anything that most other friends are charging. Sure, I believe I am dedicated, dependable, incredibly patient and have the past 6 years of being a part time tutor to my credit. But, I don't see why that gives me any reason to ask for more than what I am already happy with. I recognise that half the time, my presense there isn't really teaching (cos in truth, if you teach, you gotta prepare a lot of teaching resources, and not like go with just a red pen and some answer sheets of assessment books). My presense is more like a disciplinarian, without the cane. So, really, I don't want to get paid for things that I'm not doing enough in.
Admittedly, giving tuition is time-consuming and can be really tiring especially since it's additional work to my full-time job (which is already quite draining as it is). Still, I don't see how that can justify a much higher rate. Cos essentially, no one forced me to go give tuition. If I don't, I would probably be watching more TV or doing more nothing only. Hence, the opportunity cost is like really low, anyway.
And of course, the bottomline is... the reward I get from moonlighting like this doesn't come from the money. Let me illustrate with a short conversation with one of my kids. He's one of my old kids. I've been tutoring him for 3 years. Terrible in Chinese but very conversant and occasionally throws out very creative ideas or questions that I have no answers to. hee
me: Look. You have only 2 more weeks to your PSLE. I'm only asking you to work harder now for these 2 weeks. After your PSLE, you are free to do whatever you want. I don't even want to talk to you after that.
El: Huh? Cannot lah. Tuition teacher, you cannot don't talk to me.
me: After your PSLE, I will concentrate on your brother (who I'm tutoring too).
El: Ya lah, but you must still talk to me. Cannot don't talk to me, ok?
The mum told me that during school holidays when they don't have tuition, both brothers would ask her when does tuition resume cos they miss having tuition.
hmm? sounds funny? But that's the kind of rapport, the kind of reward I get.
So, I'm contented enough to spoil the market. ^^
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 14:40